Valvano’s Speech

Reading the speech titled “Don’t Ever Give Up,’ I found it shocking and didn’t hear or read another speech that replaced it for the time being. Everything you mention about motivation and not giving up is extremely interesting. The fact that he mentioned how he motivates his life with three different steps seems like a great idea to me, since many times we cannot find the key to being able to continue being happy, no matter what. However, I think that Valvano keeps the reader attentive at all times, due to the techniques used. The comparison that he uses, the fact that he mentions how his first speech was, how he mentions how his basketball game was and how it influenced who he is now. Every detail he mentions makes one feel amazed and be aware of every movement and detail he says. In addition, at all times in the speech there was that hook to connect what he was saying, making references to the previous topic with the one he had just mentioned. Finally, everything that Valvano said, such as the fact that he had cancer, how he loves his coach too much, how he recounts his past, among others, lets us know that this speech is getting more personal.

Apart from what he mentioned, I must accept that the declaration of this speech had an extremely great motivation in me. Many times we get discouraged by small things, for example, in my case, getting a bad grade in a class, it discourages me, not seeing changes in my body, it discourages me, but the reality is that in the end, we must understand and keep in mind that demotivation should not turn into frustration, much less into anger. A demotivation should be the key to get up and give your best.

Finally, The speech concludes in such a gentle and humble way as he mentions how he wants to search for a cure for cancer and how he wants to help other people who are going through the same disease as him.

1 Comment on Valvano’s Speech

1. lmmolina97
    May 10, 2022 at 6:21 pm (2 years ago)

As he says: “Never give up!”

Reply